It’s no secret that swimming is not my forté. I grew up on a lake, and I rather enjoy open water swimming (swimming pools, not so much), I’m just slow. I’ve taken lessons and have made progress, especially at efficiency, but slow I remain. It seems that, like a lot of old runners, I have very little flexibility in my ankles so kicking doesn’t add to my propulsion. Need to fix that.
So, not too surprisingly, sometimes its a little hard for me to get out and swim. Today was a particularly bad day; I just didn’t to it. So I decided I would write down every reason I have used to not swim, so I can come back to this list and shame myself into getting that swim in.
These are all real.
- It’s too early.
- It’s too late.
- It’s Thursday and I have a race on Sunday. I don’t want to wear myself out. (Of course, I’ll go out to bike and run the next two days.)
- I’ll go to work early instead. But first I’ll lie here in bed and check Facebook, Twitter, CNN, STL Today, MLB.com…
- I’ll leave work early and swim on the way home in the afternoon.
- I don’t like to swim in the RecPlex pool in the afternoon because there’s this one spot in the pool where the the Sun is really bright.
- I was up too late last night.
- It’s too crowded to swim in split lanes and I’m too slow to circle swim without people having to pass me, so I’ll do everyone a favor and go home.
- I’m sure I can swim 1.2 miles but I’m not sure I can ride 56 miles so I’d better go ride my bike instead.
- The swim is only 1/6 of the race so I’ll go run instead.
- (Open water) I waited too late and now the waterskiers are out and I don’t trust the drivers to stay outside the buoys. (That one’s actually pretty good.)
- I played bass drum for an hour and a half last night and I don’t want to give myself a repetitive stress injury.
- This afternoon’s open so I’ll swim then instead.
- This evening’s open so I’ll swim then instead.
- Tomorrow morning’s open so I’ll swim then instead.
- Repeat #13 through # 15.
- My Garmin is in the shop again and I don’t want to waste a workout if I don’t have all the statistics for it.